After 2 years work, and a considerable amount of bolting that used over 1,325 bolts, the first printed sport climbing guide to Hong Kong is now finished.
Hong Kong has an excellent range of sport routes for any visiting climber: F3 to F8c, single pitch coastal sport routes and multi-pitch climbing up to 140m in length. The majority of routes are well equipped with titanium or marine grade stainless steel glue-in bolts, resulting in one of the best equipped sport climbing areas in Asia. Coupled to the fantastic climbing are superb sandy beaches, mountain hikes, trail running, culture and plenty of history all in and around the intense microcosm of the vibrant city itself. Unlike most other sport climbing areas in Asia, a car is not necessary and most crags are easily accessible with approaches typically 10-15 minutes.
Hong Kong has long been overlooked as a climbing destination due to the lack of a sport climbing guide. Hong Kong Rock is a comprehensive guide providing detailed travel information, accommodation, visas, food, weather, what to bring, fixed protection standards, climbing walls and recommended routes to ensure a memorable experience.
Hong Kong Rock includes an historical section complete with profile pictures of key developers, past and present, who have shaped the course of sport climbing in Asia’s ‘Manhattan of the East’. The reader is guided to climbing locations by QR codes, illustrated maps, written descriptions and high resolution aerial photography depicting approach trails, roads and key features. Call out boxes for every location provide a snapshot of route quantity, best for grade range, climbing style, location orientation, sun exposure, seepage and a one-liner summarising the location.
- Over 1,000 sport routes
- 250 routes previously unpublished
- 10 New climbing areas
- QR codes to assist with finding crag locations
- Crag summary table and map for choosing where to climb
- High quality, detailed topo images
- Bolt count and pitch lengths
- Clear, easy to read grade charts
- How it all began – a historical on Hong Kong’s climbing developers
- Illustrated maps
- Photographs by local climbers
How to purchase:
1. Hong Kong Rock can be collected in person from Happy Valley HK$300 – contact me via 5427 8116 to arrange a time (Bank transfer / cash / PayMe)
2. Online via the Climbing Bolt Supplies website HK$320 + HK$50 for post and packaging throughout Hong Kong
The guide can also be ordered from the link for overseas delivery